Wednesday 16 May 2018

Author - Description of my Work

'I really like your work. It has a melancholic feel with a bold yet dreamlike quality. It reminds me eastern European animations that used to pop up on channel 4 when I was a kid and the stop frame Moomins series. The colour palette you use is soothing yet grabs attention and there is a stillness of action, or an action of stillness, in your pictures. There is the time of energy potential. I like the detail and the depth but at the same time it's simplistic and in the foreground.'

An author I am working with on a picture book emailed me a great description of my work amongst our conversation about tone. It's so interesting to see how people interpret my illustrations. To me, my practice is a combination all the things I enjoy and am interested in, but aesthetically it's difficult to pinpoint the foundation of its development.

Getting external input and feedback on my work is helpful to me because it helps me to visualise something from another person's point of view. Often I feel as though I'm looking at my own work for too long and it's difficult to take a step back. This is especially important when collaborating on a project.

No comments:

Post a Comment